Cecilia Persson - Professor
I lead the BioMaterial Systems (BMS) research group within the Division of Applied Materials Science. My aim is to take an integrated approach to solving clinical problems. To do this, we use our combined competence in materials science, mechanical and biological engineering. Projects revolve around the development and characterization of new biomaterials but also characterization of soft and hard tissues. Other projects focus on the design and characterization of implants, alone or in combination with tissues.
- 2018-current Professor in Applied Materials Science with Specialization in Biomaterials, Uppsala University
- 2015-2018 Senior lecturer/Assoc. Prof. in Engineering Science with Specialization in Materials Science, Uppsala University
- 2011-2015 Lecturer/Ass. Prof. in Engineering Science with Specialization in Materials Science, Uppsala University
- 2009-2011 Researcher, Uppsala University.
- 2006-2009 PhD in Mechanical Engineering, University of Leeds
- 2005-2006 Researcher, Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli
- 1999-2004 European MSc in Materials Engineering, Luleå University of Technology, Lorraine University of Technology (EEIGM), Technical University of Catalonia
Telephone: +46 (0) 70 248 96 24 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
ALEJANDRO LÓPEZ - research engineer
I am a development engineer with experience in polymeric and ceramic materials for medical devices, and am currently working in the Materials in Medicine (MiM) and BMS groups. My main responsibilities are to act as an interface between the university, its suppliers, users and collaborators (providing scientific/technical consulting services in the area of materials development to local and international companies), as well as manage the laboratory, supplies and equipment (supporting our research group's various projects with materials synthesis, biocompatibility testing, tribo-mechanical testing, surface analysis, electron microscopy, X-ray diffraction, and ICP spectroscopy).
- 2010-2014 PhD, Uppsala University
- 2007-2009 MSc in Materials Science and Engineering, Technical University of Catalonia & Luleå Technical University
- 2000-2005 BEng in Materials Engineering, Universidad Simón Bolívar, Caracas, Venezuela
Telephone: +46 (0) 18 471 30 19 Email: email@example.com
Gry Hulsart Billström - postdoctoral researcher
I am a post-doctoral researcher in the BMS group. My main interest is to explore the biological response of biomaterials tailored for bone. I do that by in vitro and in vivo models, which I try to optimise to mimic clinical situations and addressing the 3Rs from Russell and Burch. We work with patient tissue, cell culture and especially in vivo longitudinal imaging using µCT and radio-nuclear imaging. My aim is to visualize the biomaterial's action in vitro and in vivo.
- 2017-current Researcher, Dep.t Surgical science with specialization in biomaterial’s biological responses, Orthopedics, Uppsala University
- 2016-current Cell lab manager, Dept. of Applied materials, Uppsala University
- 2014-2016 Research assistant, Bone and Joint research group, Dept. Human development with specialization in biomaterial’s biological responses, University of Southampton
- 2010-2017 PhD, Uppsala University
- 2009-2010 Researcher at the Department of Orthopedics, Uppsala University
- 2008-2009 Researcher at the Department of Material Chemistry, Uppsala University
- 2007-2007 Lab technician at the Department of Comparative Medicine, Karolinska Institute
- 2002-2010 MSc in Molecular Biology at Uppsala University
Telephone: +46 (0) 18 471 79 61 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Anna Diez Escudero - Post-doctoral researcher
I am a post-doc researcher in the BMS group. My focus consists of developing 3D printed scaffolds for bone regeneration purposes. My main interests are developing ceramic bio-inks and polymer composites applicable in additive manufacturing, their physico-chemical and mechanical characterization and their biological response.
- 2018-current Researcher, Uppsala University
- 2012-2017 Ph.D. Material Science and Engineering, Technical University of Catalonia
- 2010-2012 MSc in Advanced Materials Science and Engineering, Technical University of Catalonia and Luleå Technical University
SUSAN PEACOCK - PROJECT COORDINATOR
Susan joined the group in November 2017 as a part-time Project Coordinator.
- 2017-current Project Coordinator, Uppsala University
- 2012-2017 Portfolio Manager, Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, UK
- 2008-2012 PhD Molecular Electronics, Bangor University, UK
- 2004-2008 MSc in Chemistry, Bangor University, UK
Telephone: +46 (0) 18 471 72 42 Email: email@example.com
Cecilia Alsmark - Project Coordinator
Cecilia joined the group in June 2019 as a part-time project coordinator.
- 2019-March 2020 Project coordinator, Uppsala University
- 2018-current Research officer, Uppsala University
- 2013-2018 Researcher, National Veterinay Institute, Uppsala
- 2009-current Researcher, Uppsala University
- 2004-2008 Wellcome Postdoctoral Fellow, Newcastle University
- 2003-2004 Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellow, Natural History Museum, London
- 1997-2002 PhD Molecular Evolution, Uppsala University
- 1992-1996 MSc in Biotechnology, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences
Anders Westermark - PhD Student
My research project is aimed at biomaterials for bone defects, especially more complicated cases with large bone loss and difficult biological conditions. The research is performed parallel to working at Uppsala University hospital.
- 2011 Board certified specialist in orthopaedic surgery
Charlotte Skjöldebrand - PhD Student
My research concerns characterization of silicon nitride based amorphous coatings for joint implants. Coating are investigated because of their possibility to reduce the wear and ion release and consequently increase the lifespan of joint implants. I evaluate these coatings using nanoindentation, XPS, SEM, AFM, XRD as well as cell studies. Read more about my research here.
- MSc in Material Science, 2008, Uppsala University
Telephone: +46 (0) 18 471 58 82 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dan Wu - Phd Student
I am a PhD student with focus on biomechanics of trabecular bone, including material-level trabecular elastic properties, screw implant primary stability and a bit augmentation material in bone. Research techniques used are mainly microCT, digital volume correlation and FEM.
- MSc in Materials Science and Engineering, 2014, Shandong University, China
Hanna Nilsson Åhman - Industrial PhD Student
I am a PhD student working on joint project between Uppsala University and the research institute Swerim, Stockholm, where we will be looking at developing magnesium-based alloys for additive manufacturing. Magnesium alloys have an excellent biocompatibility, suitable mechanical properties, and biodegradability, making it a promising material for orthopedic scaffolding applications. Combined with additive manufacturing it allows for the manufacturing of patient-specific implants.
- 2018 Research intern at Solliance Solar Research, TNO, Netherlands
- 2013-2018 MSc Materials Science and Engineering, Luleå Technical University / Lorraine University of Technology (EEIGM)
Jenny Carlsson - PhD Student
I am a doctoral student in solid mechanics. I work on numerical modelling of rapid fractures in cellular materials, with special focus on wood and bone. I am especially interested in phase field models for fracture, which I find mathematically beautiful since they give the crack path as a result of free energy minimisation.
- 2013-2015 Durability analysis engineering consultant at Scania Group
- 2011-2013 Durability analysis engineer, Volvo Car Group
- 2011-2012 MSc in Applied Mechanics, Chalmers University of Technology
Luimar Correa Filho - PhD Student
Christina Stelzl - Research Assistant
My work as a research assistant is focused on the biological response of biomaterials. For this, I’m looking into the biomaterial characteristics on the cellular level, as well as, analysing the possible impact on gene expression from in vitro and in vivo samples.
- Msc in Molecular and Cell Biology, 2018, Uppsala University
Elin Åkerlund - MSc Student
I am a chemical engineering student and I will be doing my master thesis in the BMS group from January to June 2019. My project consists of preparing optimal blends with different compositions of two biodegradable polymers, namely PLA and PCL, to allow extrusion of filaments for FDM-based 3D printing. I will also prepare polymer composite filaments by adding minerals, mainly calcium phosphates, to the blends. The combination of the both polymers can provide a polymeric matrix more suitable for bone applications, especially when minerals are incorporated into these polymeric matrices. The polymer matrices will be characterized by DSC, TGA, FTIR, XRD and SEM.
Yuling Liu - MSc Student
I am a master student in chemistry doing my master thesis in the BMS group from January to June 2019. My degree project will focus on optimizing the foaming conditions of porous bioceramics based on spider silk protein-ladden calcium phosphates. The project aims at combining calcium phosphates, apatite and brushite with recombinant spider silk as a foaming template. The materials will be later used in vitro to assess the synergy of the organic and inorganic matrices as a potential scaffold for bone regeneration.
- 2018, Iain Christie, MSc Project Student. Investigating the use of a low-modulus bone cement in new applications.
- 2018, Jun Luo, PhD. Calcium Phosphate Based Biomaterials for Bone Augmentation. Now a post-doctoral researcher at Sichuan University.
- 2018, Léa Le Scouarnec, visiting student. Preparation and characterization of new antibiotic-loaded bone cement for vertebroplasty.